Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Colony 0.36.0 Release Notes
Better response on post RE: My Colony 0.36.0 Release NotesWell I appreciate your thoughts on the situation.

My thing is this though, what in your mind would constitute My Colony being a "full" v1.0 game? What is the difference other than psychological? As long as I keep updating the game, adding features, adding content, changing the mechanics, there will always be new bugs introduced, no matter what the version number is called. People still expect to have weekly updates to the game, and I haven't 100% met the mark, but I have been pretty close. It's not like one of these games you buy or download that is a "full version" 1.0 game and gets like 2 bug fix updates during its entire lifespan and that's it. I'm still publishing updates for games I released as far back as 2010.

Now the thought that I have lost interest in My Colony because of Antiquitas or Death 3d is just unfounded worry. The only reason I mention those games in this forum is because they are both somewhat related to My Colony. Maybe you realize, maybe you don't, but I have never been working full time on My Colony, even from it's inception. So there is little difference between that and Antiquitas or Death 3d. It is true that Death 3d took more time this past month simply because I was writing a new engine from scratch, but that certainly isn't the norm. My Colony isn't even my #1 app in terms of users or revenues (that would be this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ra.docscan ), but it is #1 by far in terms of work put into it. It's the only app I have that gets multiple updates per month and it certainly has the most expensive upkeep with the server. So I just disagree with the thought that I am losing my spirit for the game or whatever.

At the end of the day, yes I do have other apps and games that I work on. It's been like that from the beginning. I bring up the other two here because as I said, they are both somewhat related to My Colony. Antiquitas because it's using the exact same code, and Death 3d because it takes place in the same universe. But its not like having another girl on the side and I am cheating on My Colony or something. But from a business perspective the other stuff is just as important as My Colony is, and I can't just let it all go to neglect, simply because I might like My Colony better.

The apps I don't talk about here, like PDF Scanner, Strobe Light, Network Browser, these apps are how I am able to feed myself, wife, and kid and not have a day job to where I can actually work on My Colony all the time. For a time, before I added the "Premium" content to My Colony, the game development and server was basically subsidized by the other parts of my business. Now My Colony is self-sufficient and even profitable, but still not to a level where I can abandon everything else and go all-in on My Colony, and given the niche that the game is in that probably will never happen. I know it's my favorite game genre, and same for most people on the forum here, but I think we are in the minority overall in that regard.

Anyway, I know I've mentioned this in other threads, but I consider My Colony to be a long-term project, and I really don't have an end in sight. You can look at that as hiding behind 'beta' or whatever. If it makes people feel better I can change the version number and say it's not a beta, but it really makes no difference. I don't know what the final 'finished game' will look like, because I have no roadmap drawn out for My Colony, no master plan whatsoever. I just add things as I think of them and when people suggest things that I like I add them too. To say the game is finished would be hard for me, because I don't know what finished even looks like for My Colony, or if it ever will be finished. But if people would feel better about just saying its finished and its not a beta anymore, then thats fine too. It's probably not going to change the development process though.
Owner of Ape Apps

My Main Colony: Domination
https://www.my-colony.com/colonies/jGTKNfWT/
Ah, i see.. Smile
ok then, wish you the best of luck.
Love my colony.
For me personally, this game hit me in my core.
Nostalgic, well maade and i think it has almost unlimited posibilities to add.
Its like i came back to my childhood memory but with more complex but not complicated gaming experience.