Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing - Colony Locations
I dont care if the commonwealths are mixed up. I am just making changes to the distance that a child colony will be placed from its mother colony. With the older settings a child colony could be on the complete opposite side of the map. It now has a tighter radius. Eventually distance between colonies will matter, so I want Commonwealths to be close to each other, unless they join together manually by un-natural means..
Owner of Ape Apps

My Main Colony: Domination
https://www.my-colony.com/colonies/jGTKNfWT/
(04-13-2017, 05:22 AM)Randium Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 12:24 AM)bastecklein Wrote: Just a heads up, in case anybody started mapping out their commonwealth.  I am going to be nuking the current location data soon and letting it re-populate.  After reviewing the initial data, I think it is placing commonwealth colonies too far apart from one another.

If you're talking about the fact that all commonwealths are being mixed up all around United Earth and that you can't really see crowded places at popular commonwealths, then I gotta disappoint you, 'cause that's how odds work.
If you want to make crowded spots at popular commonwealth, then the best option is to let the current independent commonwealths start far away from each other (maybe even in different sectors).

that definitely would be a good idea

[Image: xxDzeit.png]
(04-13-2017, 01:08 PM)bastecklein Wrote: I dont care if the commonwealths are mixed up.  I am just making changes to the distance that a child colony will be placed from its mother colony.  With the older settings a child colony could be on the complete opposite side of the map.  It now has a tighter radius.  Eventually distance between colonies will matter, so I want Commonwealths to be close to each other, unless they join together manually by un-natural means..

I don't think lowering the radius will change much, it will only get spots more crowded, but the commonwealths will get spread the same way around the galaxy.
What I think should be done, is that the radius of a commonwealth should be determined by their size (e.g. GDP, population count, amount of sub-colonies, RRR-Index, or something else). I've made some simulations, and I've discovered that this gives way more beautiful pictures, and it keeps sub-colonies of small commonwealths closer to each other.

[Image: wYNXPrQ.png]
As you can see in this picture, the smaller commonwealths like the turqoise one in the right down corner have their sub-colonies close to each other. If you look closely to the bigger commonwealths, you can see that this is the case with them as well. The difference is that the colonies who join later on have a bigger radius to set their colony in. Note how the giant black commonwealth has his colonies spread all over the place, while most of them are still in the middle.
If you compare this to a vast radius, you would get pictures like this;
[Image: TtWjO7E.png]
The bigger commonwealths slowly start to show boundaries, as their vast radius makes the spots more crowded. This isn't that pleasing to look. Bigger problems are the smaller commonwealths; they're almost invisible, and they're divided way too wildly among the galaxy. Lowering boundaries won't help at all, believe me.

Another thing I stumbled upon during these simulations (and another reason to make the radius dependent on the size), is that commonwealths with an unchanged radius will make the galaxy look like this;
[Image: SEp7Ry0.png]

While my idea will make the galaxy look like this; 
[Image: wflZvYs.png]
It might look messier, but this feels more like an actual galaxy than the other picture.
[Image: KLrEVGT.png]
Isn't space three-dimensional?  Angel
BLARG, senior member of the First Future Federation. Moderator des deutschen Kanals.

The commonwealth radius is already determined by size (population of the motherland), I had already thought of that. United earth (having a huge population) has a big radius.
Owner of Ape Apps

(04-11-2017, 04:00 PM)wintermute Wrote: How about x,y and z. We're talking space after all. Harder to visualize but cooler?

(04-13-2017, 02:32 PM)BLARG Wrote: Isn't space three-dimensional?  Angel

(04-11-2017, 04:28 PM)bastecklein Wrote: The evil galactic emperor is only licensing colonies to be chartered on an even plane

There ya go, buddy. Wink
Just reset the maps again, I have resized the sectors from 500x500 to 2000x2000
Owner of Ape Apps

Man. I'm getting tired of schlepping all my furniture around... Big Grin
FAQ  -  Suggestion Index

First Future Federation Member.  Click HERE to join.
I believe in M-theory.  11 dimensions.