Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing - Colony Locations
I am mainly posting this for reference so I don't forget how I am implementing it, but starting with 0.32.0, each colony will have a location in the galaxy.  The galaxy is broken up into an infinite number of sectors, positioned in an x,y coordinate system, with United Earth located in sector 0,0.  The Zolarg Empire will be in some other sector that I haven't decided yet.  Possibly very, very far away (the galaxy is big after all)

Then, each sector is broken up into it's own grid, where each colony will be located in an x,y coordinate within their sector.  

A sector will be 500x500 units in size, so in theory an extremely populated sector could hold 250,000 colonies, but realistically the game will spread them out farther than that.  There is no limit to the amount of sectors the server will create, since the sector is just an x,y number and requires very little overhead.

So anyway, each colony with have an x,y sector, and within that sector, an x,y location.  So United Earth will be located at sector 0,0 and location 0,0.  

When you start a new colony under a charter, your colony will be placed within a certain radius of your mother colony.  This will create an effect where the galaxy is densely populated around the (currently 2) civilization homeworlds, with lower populated 'outer territories' further out.  Eventually civilization will spread out to the other sectors and the civilized galaxy will grow.

Anyway, there isn't too much of a purpose to this location system yet, but it will play a bigger role in the future. Location information will appear in the new Colony Info API documented here, so some aspiring developer could probably put together a commonwealth map pretty easily if they wanted to:
http://forum.ape-apps.com/showthread.php?tid=3376

Sector and location assignments are going to roll out slowly, since I have to back port it to all of the existing active colonies. Independent colonies will get assigned locations first, and then their child colonies will be assigned locations based on the parent.
Owner of Ape Apps

My Main Colony: Domination
https://www.my-colony.com/colonies/jGTKNfWT/
How about x,y and z. We're talking space after all. Harder to visualize but cooler?
The evil galactic emperor is only licensing colonies to be chartered on an even plane
Owner of Ape Apps

(04-11-2017, 04:28 PM)bastecklein Wrote: The evil galactic emperor is only licensing colonies to be chartered on an even plane

Oh no! Darn you evil galactic emperor!

Could you make something like an image or something, that makes little points where galaxies are located? That way, we could have like a map or something. Sounds cool to me.
[Image: KLrEVGT.png]
There will eventually be maps in-game. I put the API out in case somebody else wanted to put together their own map. But there will eventually be an in-game map, and on the website too
Owner of Ape Apps

Toddy is very happy because i think i know where this is going in the long run
Charter code: U0EGvy8e
[Image: yu-toddi-sig2.png]
What happens if you put me next to Randium? Can I attack and enslave him? lol
slavers or crims would be a good addition for the game some how Big Grin

maybe use the crims to kill colonists now and then creating lower happiness
Charter code: U0EGvy8e
[Image: yu-toddi-sig2.png]
Just a heads up, in case anybody started mapping out their commonwealth. I am going to be nuking the current location data soon and letting it re-populate. After reviewing the initial data, I think it is placing commonwealth colonies too far apart from one another.
Owner of Ape Apps

(04-13-2017, 12:24 AM)bastecklein Wrote: Just a heads up, in case anybody started mapping out their commonwealth.  I am going to be nuking the current location data soon and letting it re-populate.  After reviewing the initial data, I think it is placing commonwealth colonies too far apart from one another.

If you're talking about the fact that all commonwealths are being mixed up all around United Earth and that you can't really see crowded places at popular commonwealths, then I gotta disappoint you, 'cause that's how odds work.
If you want to make crowded spots at popular commonwealth, then the best option is to let the current independent commonwealths start far away from each other (maybe even in different sectors).
[Image: KLrEVGT.png]