Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost All Colonies
Lol super power might be your best bet sadly.

I assume a little more is stored server-side now than previously, since the anti-cheat could tell
if someone tried to alter their game file (though I suppose even that doesn't need the server to remember details like cash / resources, though it would make it more secure), but that still would be a tiny amount of info compared to all the data related to your buildings, sims etc.

Can't argue with you that it hurts to lose a lot of progress. The point for it being a beta game is valid and it's totally reasonable for issues if you're playing the latest version, and anyone doing it should definitely be backing up regularly if they want to retain progress. I do think you're totally right though that it's not at all obvious and the beta state and volatility should be made very apparent to new players, if nothing else then to minimize people that get frustrated at this sort of thing and give up on the game. Beta ornot, player acquisition is a cutthroat field and (business wise at least) even at an early stage, efforts should definitely be made to hold on to every player as tightly as possible. It just makes sense.

@ Bast if you're reading - I'd really suggest just a pop up on loading advising players to the current beta state and the importance of making back-ups. Ofc it'd be great if you could just force backup but since a browser isn't going to DL a map file w/o user permission I'd say that's next best. This doesn't benefit me any, but I think you'd be doing yourself and the company / game a service by making players more aware beta participants. I could go on but it would likely even make people feel more included - afterall, most betas are limited and they instantly become "testers", and that's just one benefit.
Join the Commonwealth of Martium! Starter pack - 100k ore, food, water, steel, gold, money, chips.  PM when joining for more or to make requests!

Charter code: SG8D9qi7
Join today and PM!
The problem with JavaScript is that you are not capable, due to security concerns, of writing any data to a user's hard drive. Therefore, the only ways to store data are via cookies, local storage, or giving the user manual methods of copying down their data into a movable file. I'm not as keen on mobile platforms since I've never done any programming for them, but I imagine that it would work the same way.

Therefore, since this game has quite large files, compression is usually needed to ensure that your browser doesn't remove your excessively large file to make room for other files. Often, I see players turn compression off and get this error when their colonies disappear.

For any browser-based game, let it be known that manual backups should be a routine part of gameplay.

Also, I've been playing a few different idle games for years, so losing a few days' progress in My Colony is nothing in comparison. I've already restarted this game somewhere around 9-10 times already, but none of them were due to bugs or programming errors.
Flarebrass is exactly right, on the web version there is absolutely no way for me to save the data automatically to your hard drive. Every browser restricts local file system access for security reasons, otherwise websites would be able to just install viruses onto your system at will. I also have no control whatsoever if the browser decides to clear the My Colony database to save storage.

Sadly I do not save any colony data on my server. The only way is if you log into Facebook and use the cloud sync option in your colonies. It is disabled by default because each colony file can be several megabytes in size, and the bandwidth alone would drive the cost of the game up dramatically. If you don't want to use the Facebook sync options, you can also manually back up your game files from the main title screen menu (select Options -> Game Data)

To avoid browser issues, you can also download the stand alone desktop application from my Ape Market website, which is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It does have file system access and saves all of your colonies into your Documents -> My Colony folder, so you can easily back them up or archive them or do whatever you wish. Download links here: https://market.ape-apps.com/my-colony.html

Sorry for the data loss, and I wish I could restore your Colony but it is literally impossible, I have no backup copies of it on my end.
(03-21-2017, 01:39 AM)Flarebrass Wrote: For any browser-based game, let it be known that manual backups should be a routine part of gameplay.

Totally correct of course and it should be a given, but as the axiom goes common sense isn't so common.

I would definitely repeat though Bast: People should be warned. I know, it's obvious, but just hammer it home to all users, that backups are needed. Again, I really have no stake here, and I totally get why auto-backup wouldn't work, as I said, but I think you'll be doing the game a long-run disservice without it, as it'll guarantee those that do encounter issues are almost always permanently removed from the player base. Beta or not, I'll repeat it, player retention is paramount in this position. Unless you plan on getting a budget along the lines of CoC or whatever apps advertise on cable media (and even if you do), your easiest way to get new players is to keep and interest current ones. There's nothing like word of mouth.

I suppose you could try force backups, but besides being clumsy in practice I think most new players would balk at accepting any download from an unknown site for obvious reasons, so I think it's easier to just have the game load with something like this:

MyColony Wrote:Welcome to My Colony Beta! Congratulations on joining our beta development community. Since this game is constantly being updated, it is recommended you backup your filesave to make sure you don't lose data. Go to forum.ape-apps.com to give beta feedback and for more information

I'd bet money just that sense of "oooh I'm part of a beta" would up player retention
Join the Commonwealth of Martium! Starter pack - 100k ore, food, water, steel, gold, money, chips.  PM when joining for more or to make requests!

Join today and PM!
This really sucks but I understand. However I never knew about any of the things that you just mentioned. First off I had no clue this was beta, not that it would really make a difference. I also never knew about a standalone windows app or the link to facebook. Losing everything you worked for is worst case for not only player but dev as well. The player will likely not want to start over or play anymore, and the dev just lost a user. I would have to really agree with other that these things should be made very clear as they were not for me.

I still love this game and will sure start over. But is there anyone to change the capital city of my common wealth so I can keep that?
Keep your commonwealth / charter code but built it into a new city? I'd guess it's almost certainly possible, but would take bast or someone good w the code to do it, and honestly even with the hours upon hours in my build, I wouldn't be particularly hopeful anybody would help me out in retaining my charter code. Of course bast could probably take mercy and help you there so here's hoping, although that operation I imagine would be best performed on an already independent map, so either way it's better if you move forward for now.

If not, take some solace in knowing I and others have lost at least as much if not more than you Smile . I ofc agree it should be more readily apparent it's beta but now that you know the full story, I promise a bit of work will quickly have you farther along than before (and better backed up I'd hope heh)

Join today and PM!
Wow, I had no idea about the standalone app. I thought chrome app was it Big Grin

Now that I think back, I did reset a bunch of stuff in my Chrome to fix another problem. So it was really my own lack of foresight.