Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone care about GDP definition?
So, this is perhaps a rather function-less suggestion, more just a bit of my own personal nit-picking, lol, but does anyone else think that it makes sense to change how GDP is determined?  After all, the econ 101 definition tells us it is about goods produced in a year and their value rather than sale of goods / goods on hand.  As it stands, if I put up some decent amounts of the more expensive resources on the GBT, my GDP will drop significantly, especially so if even when I get the sale return, that price is well below the "last price" listed that I believe the GDP is based off of.   By my understanding, it shouldn't matter whether I sell or not, the GDP should be based simply off my production rate over a given "year" (whatever that is decided to be per year x  my daily run-time average %).

Ok, granted, that would mean somebody running 24/7 with 1/2 the production of someone else running 4 hours a day would show a higher GDP, although that doesn't seem entirely wrong to me.  And as I said this isn't particularly important, but I suppose it triggers some ocd when my GDP drops because I've invested heavily to actually increase my output.
Join the Commonwealth of Martium! Starter pack - 100k ore, food, water, steel, gold, money, chips.  PM when joining for more or to make requests!

Charter code: SG8D9qi7
Join today and PM!
I hate it as well.
The GDP is determined by the amount of resources you have. The value of the resources is being determined by the prices on the Mass Driver.
[Image: KLrEVGT.png]
Yep, I get that, I guess I didn't say it explicitly but think it's at least implicit in the idea that the GDP if it were more realistic would be based on goods *produced* in a given time frame rather than stocked (as it is) or sold in total. I'm not asking how it's derived but rather if anyone else thinks it makes more sense to have it be more like how an actual GDP is calculated.
Join the Commonwealth of Martium! Starter pack - 100k ore, food, water, steel, gold, money, chips.  PM when joining for more or to make requests!

Join today and PM!
I think the name is confusing. Maybe it should be called "Wealth" instead of "GDP".
If this post was helpful, click Thank.
I run an ongoing competition called Contestualize. You can win up to 800k Artifacts. PM me for details.
Please forgive my noob-ness.
I left for work. came home.had 824K cash. paid earth and payroll.
have 12k left.

how do I use the GDP to determin if im making enough income to pay for this?
I do nott want to spend 8 hours at work. so i can spend 6 athome selling landing pads.
GDP can not be used for this. I recommend using the resources button in the stats menu instead. It shows your inflows and outflows of each resources. What you are interested in is the Cash section.
If this post was helpful, click Thank.
I run an ongoing competition called Contestualize. You can win up to 800k Artifacts. PM me for details.
I got confused by this abbreviation too. Probably it is a good idea to rename current GDP to
Colony wealth and Colony wealth per capita.

It would be great to have real GDP stat in the game.

I see two possible ways of displying GDP and GDP per capita:
1. GDP counted by server time (server counts a colony online time and production per year. *it could be done client side*)
2. GDP counted only by actual time played (online time doesn't matter)

The first way is the great stat showing how active a colony.
The second is the best stat to compare colonies layout effectiveness in terms of production.

Another cool stat can be Commonwealth GDP rank in %.
Heyy my thread got revived.  Yeah GDP still bothers me as the name lol.

Suns, interesting, I hadn't really considered it could be done either way.   I suppose though in terms of imparting useful information it's better to do production over a set time period rather than time played.  If it was time played, a long-inactive colony could have a higher GDP than an active one. If it's based on time, besides actual production, in the former case GDP would actually give some info on player activity as well.  Also, that encourages more playing, wheras you could otherwise have an effect where people are actually disincentivized from playing (say due to market / last price drops) because it would reduce their GDP.  In general, also, a real GDP along real timeframes is going to incentivize playing more, at least assuming a leaderboard.

Since I think we could all agree more active players is better, thinking about it that's actually the strongest advocation for a gdp-derivation change.

Join today and PM!
Yeah, if GDP commonwealth rank will ever implemented it should count online and actual time production of every colony for a given period. But 'offline GDP' is very informative to compare layout and production a for a single colony.