Ape Apps Forum
Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - Printable Version

+- Ape Apps Forum (http://forum.ape-apps.com)
+-- Forum: Games (http://forum.ape-apps.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: My Colony (http://forum.ape-apps.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+---- Forum: Game Ideas, Suggestions, and Feedback (http://forum.ape-apps.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Thread: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics (/showthread.php?tid=3054)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - bastecklein - 03-20-2017

bageling mentioned this in one of the other threads, and I think it is a reasonable idea.  If anybody wants to draw out some building graphics to be included in the game, I will allow you to submit them to the forum here, along with building descriptions/tech requirements/etc.  There are guidelines though, which I will post here.

1. Graphics are made using Inkscape.  It is a free open source program which you can download from here: https://inkscape.org/en/  It creates scalable vector graphics which is good.
  2. Building graphics must follow specific tile-size dimensions, particularly at the base of the graphic.  The height can basically be whatever, but the width is important.  I will attach some templates and an example graphic to this post.
  3. Artwork cannot contain any copyrighted materials.  This includes business logos or really anything that you do not create yourself.
  4. If you submit something you agree that you are giving me the rights to the graphic and that I have permission to put it into the game.  I don't want to turn around and be sued because you submitted a building graphic and then changed your mind.
There is no guarantee that I will use your artwork, but obviously a building suggestion with graphics already created will greatly increase its chance of being added to the game.  If you submit something you can choose how you want to be credited within the game (optional, you don't have to be credited at all if you prefer).

This is an easy and faster way to get more content added into the game.  Keep in mind that I don't have time to offer technical support or instructions on how to use Inkscape, so if you can't figure it out, you might be out of luck.  The attached templates and example building should give you a head start though.

The base size for a 1x1 tile is 64x32.  Graphics must be some multiple of that.

Graphics should also be somewhat in the same style as the rest of the game, so that they fit in with everything.

The above guidelines are for the Human colony.  Zolarg graphics were not made using Inkscape, but Gimp (another free program), but the same size specifications exist.

RE: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - bageling - 03-21-2017

Nice! Well this will keep me busy for a bit.

RE: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - VaultDwellerIluq - 03-21-2017

This is a really great idea to have submissions open! It will be interesting to see what kind of community-sourced buildings will come out of it.

RE: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - g4mef0rc4l - 03-25-2017

(03-20-2017, 07:41 PM)bastecklein Wrote: bageling mentioned this in one of the other threads, and I think it is a reasonable idea.  If anybody wants to draw out some building graphics to be included in the game, I will allow you to submit them to the forum here, along with building descriptions/tech requirements/etc.  There are guidelines though, which I will post here.

1. Graphics are made using Inkscape.  It is a free open source program which you can download from here: https://inkscape.org/en/  It creates scalable vector graphics which is good.
  2. Building graphics must follow specific tile-size dimensions, particularly at the base of the graphic.  The height can basically be whatever, but the width is important.  I will attach some templates and an example graphic to this post.
  3. Artwork cannot contain any copyrighted materials.  This includes business logos or really anything that you do not create yourself.
  4. If you submit something you agree that you are giving me the rights to the graphic and that I have permission to put it into the game.  I don't want to turn around and be sued because you submitted a building graphic and then changed your mind.
There is no guarantee that I will use your artwork, but obviously a building suggestion with graphics already created will greatly increase its chance of being added to the game.  If you submit something you can choose how you want to be credited within the game (optional, you don't have to be credited at all if you prefer).

This is an easy and faster way to get more content added into the game.  Keep in mind that I don't have time to offer technical support or instructions on how to use Inkscape, so if you can't figure it out, you might be out of luck.  The attached templates and example building should give you a head start though.

The base size for a 1x1 tile is 64x32.  Graphics must be some multiple of that.

Graphics should also be somewhat in the same style as the rest of the game, so that they fit in with everything.

The above guidelines are for the Human colony.  Zolarg graphics were not made using Inkscape, but Gimp (another free program), but the same size specifications exist.

I'm actually doing art and graphics as my subjects for school and going to do it in collage 1 year from now
I think ill give it a go

RE: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - angrycat9000 - 03-27-2017

I am glad you are looking for buildings.  I have one that I have wanted for a while.  A large helium 3 tank. A quantum helium 3 tank too, but for now I just did a large version.

[attachment=389]

Name
Large Helium 3 Tank

Storage
Helium 3 Storage +6800

Cost
Regolith -1000
Steel -900
Aluminum -120
Ore -500

Sell Value
Regolith 100
Steel 350
Ore 75

RE: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - bastecklein - 03-27-2017

(03-27-2017, 02:25 AM)angrycat9000 Wrote: I am glad you are looking for buildings.  I have one that I have wanted for a while.  A large helium 3 tank. A quantum helium 3 tank too, but for now I just did a large version.

Name
Large Helium 3 Tank

Storage
Helium 3 Storage +6800

Cost
Regolith -1000
Steel -900
Aluminum -120
Ore -500

Sell Value
Regolith 100
Steel 350
Ore 75

Awesome work

RE: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - angrycat9000 - 03-28-2017

(03-27-2017, 08:47 PM)bastecklein Wrote: Awesome work

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to being able to condense my helium 3 field.

RE: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - Toddy - 04-01-2017

I love this game and the lowfi graphics are spot on, i am a graphic designer using (ai, cad, 3Dmax, photoshop, indesign) and find it very refreshing to see games like this.
I also wondered if its at all possible to reskin the entire graphics set?

I have a few ideas id like to try and would love to use this engine to make them reality if its viable

RE: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - bastecklein - 04-01-2017

Not really right now, it's still early. I plan on releasing modding capabilities and a mod creator application at some point though

RE: Artists, suggest/submit Building Graphics - Toddy - 04-02-2017

Now that would be superb ... it would be a very smart move possibly springboarding this game into a new dimension